There are presently no open calls for submissions.
aer•ie (âr’ē) noun
1. The nest of a bird, such
as an eagle, built on a cliff
or other high place.
2. A collection of literature
and visual art, published
by student editors
of Big Sky High School.
3. A home for young writers
and artists around the world.
We invite submissions of
short stories & flash fiction
foreign-language poetry & translations
cutting-edge visual art & photography
interviews with exceptional young writers & artists
Before submitting, consider subscribing to last year's magazine.
Part of becoming published is knowing and supporting publication
opportunities. You can check out amazing work and the biographies
and personal photos of the contributors.Our little program can no longer financially keep up with the demands of shipping hundreds of magazines internationally. (Did you know it costs over 25 dollars to send just one copy of Aerie International to some countries overseas?)
- Aerie International publishes once a year, in the spring. Entries must be sent by 5 February 2020.
- Writers and artists must be 13-19 years old and enrolled in secondary school at the time of publication.
- All submissions will receive a written response from our editors through sumbittable, so please check your email associated with this account as we often have questions or require additional information as we narrow down our selections for publication. Most responses will come between March and June.
- Writers and artists included for publication of the magazine will receive one complimentary perfect bound copy after publication, sometime between late May and early September. (Please remember we are also high school students and we do our best to get the magazine published and shipped out before summer holiday, but we are often left short-staffed and under-funded at the end of the year, so if you experience a delay in delivery we appreciate your patience and welcome your follow up questions over email.)
- Award winners in poetry, fiction, nonfiction, visual art and photography receive $100 U.S. dollars. Additional copies can be purchased for $12 in the United States and $15 outside. All teachers whose students submit work will receive one complementary digital copy of the magazine.
- Pieces of writing of fewer than 1500 words have a greater likelihood of being printed. We reserve the right to do minor editing before publication.
- Please include no more than 5 pieces per year.
- Aerie International accepts simultaneous submissions. Please inform us immediately if your piece has been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Upon acceptance, we ask only one-time rights; all subsequent rights revert immediately to the author. We will send a contract for you and your parent/guardian to sign.